Originally intended as a war machine, the fort was built in a strategic location at the tip of the Sceberras peninsula to face and hold back the wrath of the Ottoman armada. Offering unobstructed panoramic views of the harbours and the surrounding towns and villages, this key position was already recognised and exploited during the Medieval period. Reference to a permanent watch-post at Santo Eramo can in fact, be found in the Militia Roster of 1417. Following a harsh Ottoman razzia in 1551, and various reports indicating a looming Ottoman siege, Grand Master De Homedes issued an order for the immediate erection of a fort. This ticket is valid for 30 days after acquisition.
For opening hours click HERE
Adult, Senior, Student, Children