Family and Kids
Family values, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility for everyone are core tenets at the heart of our heritage brand. Our event calendar is dotted with edutaining fun days out for the family including open days, re-enactments, boat tours and heritage trails.
Mother and baby activities, hands-on workshops, sports events, art competitions, and sleepovers are just some of the extra-curricular initiatives organised by our education and outreach department within the agency. The Heritage Malta Student Passport gives all students together with two accompanying adults free access to HM sites and museums. As part of this scheme, the agency also conducts several activities during the scholastic year and offers a wide-ranging programme over the summer holidays. Heritage Malta children’s books, history themed comics and colouring books, virtual tours, documentaries targeted at kids and a wealth of downloadable resources help to keep children occupied when at home.
Resources and More
Learn more about Maltese culture and traditions, access didactic resources, online activities for kids and teacher-led lesson plans and activities that can be carried out during a school visit.
Schools and Teachers
Heritage Malta will be offering the following services to schools, colleges and teachers in the scholastic year 2022/2023
- Free access to all open Heritage Malta sites (excluding the Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum and Underground Valletta) and temporary exhibitions to all Teachers’ Card holders issued from the Council for the Teaching Profession. Teachers also have to present a copy of the identification document, which can include either ID card, a Driving Licence or a Passport. Those LSEs and other educators not in possession of a teacher’s card should present a letter signed by the Head of School as proof that they work within the Education sector together with an identifying document.
- Heritage Malta is offering also its venues for the hosting of seminars, conferences, and related events. Please see table below for a list of sites/museums available. Booking details can be found within the same table. These are offered against a charge.
- Free access to students visiting Heritage Malta sites and museum during school hours; to book your visit please click HERE
Free access to all open Heritage Malta sites (excluding the Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum and Underground Valletta) and temporary exhibitions to all Teachers’ Card holders issued from the Council for the Teaching Profession.
- This year’s online talk programme can be viewed here (link to document with calendar), please book by sending an email to email@example.com
- Information concerning the booking of Hagar Qim, Ggantija and Tarxien for the Social Studies fieldwork can be found HERE
- Information regarding the booking for the Geography Option fieldwork can be found HERE
Please keep in mind that Heritage Malta sites and museums are regularly rented out against a cost. In case the activity is cancelled, make sure to inform Heritage Malta before the pre-established booked date.
All students attending primary or secondary level education, whether they are state, independent or church schools, in Malta and Gozo, will receive the Heritage Malta card at their school.
This card provides free unlimited access for one student and any two accompanying adults to all Heritage Malta sites and museums (except for Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum and Underground Valletta). The card will remain valid till the end of Year 11 (Form 5) at the end of the last school term.
On their first visit to any Heritage Malta site or museum (except for Borġ in-Nadur, Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum, Ta’ Ħaġrat, Skorba and Gozo Nature Museum), students will collect their Heritage Malta passport and their first stamp. This passport will be stamped on every visit to any of the Heritage Malta locations.
Students aged 16 + are also entitled to a discount upon entry to museums and sites once they present their student cards.
Furthermore, University of Malta students and Junior College students in possession of an e-sims account enter free of charge into museums once they display their e-sims mobile app or present alternative evidence of an e-sims account. MCAST students enter free of charge as well just by showing their school card.
Collect 10 different stamps from 10 different locations and a Heritage Malta VISA will be issued for a one time free entry to a site which is not usually open to the public.
On the collection of 10 different stamps from different locations, two more VISAs will be issued for a one time free entry to two other sites which are not usually open to the public.
27 stamps gains a VISA for a one time free entry to Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum and Underground Valletta for the student and one of the accompanying adults or if preferred, for a Heritage Malta exclusive gift pack.
Openings for emerging and established professionals
Network, learn a skill, make a difference!
Following the success of the Heritage Malta Student Passport scheme, and various feedback received from various sectors, Heritage Malta, within the Ministry for Justice, Culture and Local Government, has decided to launch a similar scheme aimed at Senior Citizens – the Heritage Malta Senior Passport.
With this passport, an elder and two accompanying youths* (up to 18 years old) will have free and unlimited access to all Heritage Malta’s sites and museums (except the Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum and Underground Valletta). Heritage Malta’s Senior Passport holders can enjoy free and unlimited visits to 27 sites which include prehistoric temples and caves, historic houses and prisons, fortresses and palaces, and a selection of museums relating to nature, archaeology, maritime, war, and art.
All those individuals who are aged 60+ are invited to call with their identity card at their Local Councils to apply for Heritage Malta’s Senior Passport. The Local Council staff will enrol them in the system, and the passport together with an information leaflet will be received by post within 10 working days.
*accompanying youths do not need to be Maltese citizens or residents but must present some form of identification showing their age.